THE ODEHYE's REMINDER.

The year 1957 was not only epochal in the history of our dear country, Ghana, but it was also momentous to many institutional structures. One of which is the Okuapemman School, Akropong–Akuapim in the Eastern Region, which was officially opened on the 8th of February. But the founder, the late Barrister Kwaku Opoku Akyeampong did not live long to see what would become of his over 81 Thousand pound investment, so it was taken over by the government and the Educational Trust.

The School is situated on a 10 square kilometer campus of undulating land and pleasant surroundings about 2 km from the town of Akropong. The campus presents a panorama of beautiful and modern buildings intersected with verdant lawns and tropical flora which provide a cool and refreshing atmosphere congenial for a successful academic work. The School has four halls (houses) of residence, namely Opoku-Akyeampong (which was named after the founder himself), Akuffo, Kwadade and Dokua (which is the girls’ house). The idea of building a co-educational institution such as Achimota or on the model of English Private Schools struck and greatly obsessed Mr. Opoku-Akyeampong in 1955. Finally he decided to site his school on top the beautiful hills beyond the stream called ‘Nyaadebi’. With zeal he made the necessary contacts, saw the Omanhene (paramount Chief), the Akuapim State Council, and the real owners of the land, the nature of which he admired so much, acquired it, and built his school.

He later invited some eminent people from all the divisional wings of the Akuapim State, that is, the Adonten, Gyaase, Nifa, Benkum and an expatriate , Miss I. M. Anderson then the Headmistress of Aburi Girls Secondary School to become members of the Board of Governors and attend the first board meeting. This, they did and twelve people in all including the founder who acted as chairman were present. Having built it he adequately equipped the Okuapemman School; notably dormitories were furnished with spring iron beds and kept Mattresses, (It is very interesting to note that students of this school were the first to enjoy using such comfortable beds in the Gold Coast (Ghana) when he formally opened it on 8th February 1957. It had a population of 182 pupils, 159 boys and 12 girls in forms one to three. The pioneer teachers were only 6. The school started to run sixth form course in 1963.